Enjoy your summer but take precautions when spending time outdoors. Mullica Hill residents can expect a rise in the number of Bees and Wasps this time of year. These pests are especially active during the second half of the summer and early fall when the colonies forage for food that will sustain their queens during the winter.
The National Pest Management Association reports that stinging insects send more than half of million people to the emergency room every year. People who have an allergic reaction to a bee sting are in the most danger. However, anyone who sustains multiple stings at the same time can be at risk.
5 tips to prevent a sting:
- Thoroughly inspect the area that you will be sitting or spending time outdoors. Wasps usually will build their nests on the underside of a structure to protect themselves from the elements. Sit away from flowering plants and bushes.
- I see more than one bee or wasp in the area, there is most likely a nest around or something is attracting them. Move away from the area.
- Clean up spilled fruit and fruit juices as the sugar will draw bees and wasps.
- Avoid drinking out of cans or colored bottles. Wasps will sometimes enter the drink unknowingly and when you attempt to take a sip, Oouuch!
- If you find a stinging insect nest on your property, contact a pest professional promptly. They will be able to inspect your home, confirm the type of stinging insect, and recommend a course of pest control treatment. Don’t disturb the nest. Do yourself a favor and call a professional. You’ll thank me later.
Need a wasp nest removed? Call Hoffman’s Exterminating today or click here to request a FREE Estimate.