As most homeowners are aware it is nearly impossible to assure you will never have an ant invade your home. However, there are several things you can do to help reduce the chances of an ant invasion. Once an ant infestation establishes itself, calling a pest control professional is a good idea. Hoffman’s Exterminating handles thousands of ant calls each year especially in Linwood, New Jersey. Here are 5 household practices you can implement to keep ants at bay:
1. Keep trash cans away from your home. We all want our trash cans close to the back door so we don’t have to walk a long distance to discard our trash, especially in inclement weather. Unfortunately, trash cans attract ants and flies, and once they have established residency the next step is entering your home. Keep them several yards away from the back or side door.
2. Store food in airtight containers. Any food not kept in the refrigerator should be sealed in plastic containers. Bread, cereals, sugars, and snacks attract unwanted pests like the common ant. Even dry pet food should be stored properly. This will also eliminate any food infesting insects like Indian Meal Moths from spreading around your home.
3. Keep your kitchen and bathroom dry. Any moisture that accumulates on floors or counters is an invitation for any ant. Keep in mind that ants are foraging for food and water and this moisture source can contribute to an increase in ant activity.
4. Sweep your floors. It’s probably impossible to clean up every crumb but studies have shown that eliminating food sources will help in keeping your home pest-free. Sweep up after every meal and mop floors regularly, especially if you have infants or young children.
5. Never leave dirty dishes in the sink or dishwasher. Dirty dishes in the sink will attract ants first. The reason is you have both food and water in the same location. Dirty dishes in the dishwasher can provide the same environment. The suggestion is to rinse all dishes prior to loading the dishwasher and always keep the dishwasher door closed when not in operation.
When all else fails call Hoffman’s Exterminating for additional recommendations. We give free inspections and can show you how to keep ants from entering your home.